We are always keen to hear from outstanding students wishing to pursue PhD study at the University of St Andrews. If you have or are applying for postgraduate funding and are interested in being supervised for a PhD by one of our academics please contact the supervisor you are interested in working with directly (any of the names listed under subject areas on our Research page are potential supervisors) to discuss the suitability of your project proposal before beginning the application procedure detailed on the Postgraduate Admissions web page. Projects associated with NERC’s IAPETUS Doctoral Training Programme are advertised in the Autumn through to Spring.
Fully-funded PhD opportunities currently available can be found on our PhD Programme web page.
Information on our Postgraduate Research application process can be found on our How to apply web pages.
The School is always interested to hear from highly talented and motivated researchers and students looking for long-term opportunities, sabbaticals, research internships and exchanges, and studentships. Please refer to the relevant contact on the application page to make informal enquiries.
There are no vacancies at present.
Internships, work experience, research placements
Please contact a relevant staff member to inquire about possibilities for research placements.
MSc Mineral Resources
The School of Earth and Environmental Sciences is very excited to announce the launch of our new MSc in Mineral Resources. The degree has been designed in close collaboration with professionals from the minerals industry and provides first-hand experience using cutting-edge methodologies and technologies at the forefront of mineral exploration.
The MSc in Mineral Resources aims to prepare students for a career in the mineral industry or to pursue PhD research in mineral exploration or mining geology.
- Delivers a wide range of experience in the field of mineral resources based on the “mineral system” approach.
- Focuses on current genetic models of ore deposits, applied field training, 3D geological modelling and mineral exploration.
- Provides key industry skills, such as sub-surface mapping, core logging, integration of multiple spatial data sets and 3D modelling.
- Dynamic working atmosphere supported by collegial community of staff and students.
- Delivers a practical industry ready skill set designed in collaboration with professional exploration geologists.
More details about the MSc in Mineral Resources can be found at:
If you have specific questions about the degree course, please contact the Programme Coordinator Dr Jonathan Cloutier (Jonathan.Cloutier@st-andrews.ac.uk).
Careers Centre services include
- Viewing jobs and placements posted by employers
- Receiving tailored email alerts on jobs, placements and events
- Viewing and booking careers advice appointments, latest careers workshops and employer events
Using your Degree – for more detailed information on the options and the career opportunities available to students specifically related to their degree
The University of St Andrews is committed to promoting equality of opportunity for all and has gained a series of diversity awards including the Athena SWAN Institutional Bronze Award, the European Commission HR Excellence in Research Award and the LGBT Charter, see Diversity Awards. Applications are particularly welcome from women, who are under-represented in Science posts at the University.